Puente Vista, North Padre Island, Corpus Christi, Texas
PuenteVista.com is dedicated to those with interest in Puente Vista.
The following information is provided from source in the public domain. Please enjoy the reading while you learn more about Puente Vista.
puente vista office

For some of us, it's just downright embarrassing. Our Puente Vista office and recreation center has a big sign on it with the name misspelled. It's Puente, not Puanta!

How is it with all this money being spent on repairs (about $20,000 per owner special assessments this year), and the sign is still not fixed? How about putting that answer and explanation in the next newsletter? Let's get some action. And if we hurt some feelings and people get defensive and agitated about bringing this to the community attention, what is next - another lawsuit threat that has to be handled for showing this and other information while we try and just get things done?

 

October News

Paul Carlson and Tony Patino were elected to the Board with 98 plus % and 100% respectively. Someone voted only for Tony which makes the difference. We welcome them to the Board. I believe they will be good members. Jerry Foree was re-elected to a second term. The website will be updated this week with address changes.

I thank Susan Swanson and Kathy Morgan for their service. Both contributed significantly during their terms.

The following goals for the coming year will be submitted to the new Board:

1. Complete our project on time and on budget. (See below for project status)

2. Educate the Board and any interested Owners on: Puente Vista By-Laws and portions of the Texas Property Code pertaining to condominiums; The Texas Windstorm Insurance Association and the Texas Windstorm Construction Code; and the National Flood Insurance Plan.

3. Continue the Owner communication program begun last year. We want Owner input on pending issues.

We solicit your comment on these goals and any others you think may be worthy additions.

Project Report

Meeting budget will be a challenge. We’re already authorized over half the contingency allowance in structural repair work revealed during the decking operation. Less than 45% of the deck work is complete.

When the decks are removed for rebuilding, Voss Engineering is able to see rot and/or termite damage to structural members. Sometimes, we are asked to open a wall for further inspection and then the damage is revealed. While we are glad to avoid further deterioration in our buildings, the damage is extensive.

We are exploring several ways to handle a shortfall and will keep you informed of progress as financial results become clear. To date, the contractor has billed us through October a total of $171,000 less $17,000 retainage. The Sprinkler work is complete at $87,000 less $8,700 held till the city delivers our new meters.

The relationships with the contractors are up and down. They aren’t used to working where people are living but we’re working with them.

Installments of the Special Assessment are arriving as due. There are still three Owners who have not paid anything. Logan and Parrish have filed suit and Lara has not contacted us. Necessary demand letters have gone out.

If you have specific questions, let me know.

Tom Drawert November 7, 2008

September News

We are preparing for the Annual Owners Meeting on October 25th. There are three candidates for three Board Memberships:

Kathy Morgan completed Mary Davis’s term and is not standing for re-election; Susan Swanson’s first term is up and she is not standing for re-election; Jerry Foree’s first term is up and he IS standing for re-election:

We received resumes from two Owners seeking election: Paul Carlson #213 Tony Patino #116.

The project is going smoothly now after some start-up glitches. The new Sprinkler System is complete pending delivery of our two meters from the City and installation by Hebert. Overall, we are very pleased with this contractor. They broke a few water lines and TV cables, but that’s to be expected. Repairs were made timely and that’s the important thing. We have withheld ten per cent of the final payment against the meters and the contractor agrees it’s proper. I expect this to be complete within a week or so. You can’t rush the City.

Other work is proceeding although roofing work is strictly prep work till the shingles arrive. In the meantime work on the decks is proceeding. We’ve flooded the early re-builds and the water drains perfectly.

As expected, the contractor has run into unexpected conditions. By the time you get this, photos showing the work will be on the web site. (http://www.puentevistacock.com).

We’ve had to rebuild some areas where termite damage has compromised structural members. Other areas have had to be worked over to maintain compliance with the Windstorm Code. These are found mainly in the “wing walls” separating decks and flat roofs from other units or to provide privacy. Many of these have rot or termite damage to the wooden frame within the stucco wall.

The contractor has been very good in keeping u s informed and the prices for the extra work have been reasonable. Repairs have been made or priced in five buildings to date, plus a $5,000 repair to the arch wall over the pool front entrance when a large crack appeared. This was likely due to someone forcibly opening the code locked door. Its frame was severely damaged, but thankfully the expensive lock was intact.

If the remaining buildings are no worse, our contingency is sufficient. Including completed change orders, we paid Winship $54,000.00 on its September invoice, net of 10% retainage.

Progress and other pertinent information pertaining to the project will continue to be reported in this news. Anything needing immediate publication will be in a special report.

Special Assessment Payments due in August (we call it September) are all in except for Lara, Logan, Parrish, and Stadtman. We have heard from Lara, have not from Stadtman. Logan and Parrish paid money into the Court Registry, but that does not help Puente Vista so it must be considered unpaid. The October payments are almost all in and won’t be considered past due till the 10th.

Tom Drawert October 9, 2008

August News

As everyone now knows the Special Owners Meeting of August 25, 2008 resulted in Owner approval of the project and special assessment at 78% to 22% of the votes cast exceeding the majority vote as defined in the By-Laws.

The contract with Winship Construction has been signed and a Notice to Proceed issued effective September 3, 2008. The notice allows them to go to work, permits having been issued, and the contract time of 240 Calendar Days (Eight Months) begins to run.

We have another lawsuit:

Linda Evans-Logan

Plaintiff V. Ro Wickham, Barbara Wickham; Puente Vista Council of Co-Owners, Inc.; Phyllis Freeman, Individually and as Property Manager for Puente Vista Council of Co-Owners, Inc. Defendants

As with the last suit, the Board and Phyllis have been asked by our attorney and the insurance companies NOT to comment on the suit. Therefore we ask you to not ask us to comment. This will save time for all concerned.

You may be assured we will report to you as soon as we are allowed comment.

The Common Element insurance policies have a single expiration date of August 30, 2008. We got a renewal proposal from Swantner & Gordon on August 19, 2008. The Windstorm and Flood Insurance are at government rates and therefore have no competition. Of the remaining insurance, by far the largest is that providing Property Insurance (excluding Windstorm and Flood). Our agent got three quotes and our existing carrier was low.

For some time, we’ve been concerned about Windstorm deductibles. The minimum deductible is 1% of the loss. We value the buildings at a total of $10,300,000. Therefore a wipe-out would produce an assessment of $103,000 to rebuild. Our agent found and we bought a “deductible buy-back policy”. For a $10,000 annual premium with a $10,000 deductible, the policy pays the otherwise applicable deductible. In a total loss situation, we’ve traded $103,000 for $20,000. I think it’s a terrific buy. We’ve not been able to reserve funds for the deductible and this takes care of all of it at once. Furthermore, this year, our other policies cost went down $4,000, so the net increase for the new purchase is only $6,000.

If you have any questions on the program, address them to me – it was my business for forty-six years and I believe I can give you an acceptable answer.

I’m sorry you are getting your invoices for the insurance right on top of the project assessment. Johnny Cash said, “I don’t like it, but sometimes it happens that way.” It seems that everything just slid along till it was a month later than we planned.

Progress and other pertinent information pertaining to the project will be reported in this news. Anything needing immediate publication will be in a special report.

Tom Drawert September 8, 2008

July 2008 News and June 2008 News

Sorry this is late. I suppose you could consider the June 25th Owner Letter as being the June News. In any event, THE BOARD PASSED THE PROJECT at its July 19th meeting. Well attended by owners, it went like this:

Representing the Rehab Committee, I delivered our recommendation in a two page Executive Summary, then went over the highlights of nine pages of documentation and five exhibits.

The Board asked questions as I talked. Everyone present had a copy of the material. When I finished, Owners were invited to use their five-minute “forum time” to ask questions or make comments. The items in this forum drawing the most attention were:

David Triplett opined that the project should have been handled by selecting a contractor first and have him take bids with us reviewing the process as it unfolded. That is the way to get the best price so we are paying too much by the way we did it – select the contractor by competitive bid. Several owners agreed.

Several owners were surprised and disappointed when Stucco Repair and Painting were left out of the project. They felt we should have done it all at once, preventing a future assessment.

My response to David was that had this been something I was doing for myself, I would have done it as he suggested. In fact, it had been presented to the Board at the outset that we select a contractor first. The Board felt in a convincing majority, competitive bidding was best in our type of ownership. We followed the majority opinion. In fact, one of the more common criticisms we fielded throughout was that we didn’t get enough bids.

With respect to cost, there is only $9,000 difference between the two low responsible bidders roofing bids, and $480,000 of the remaining work will be done on a “cost plus” basis. I think, in the final analysis, we did get a very good outcome.

I don’t disagree, personally, with the idea that we should have bitten the entire bullet at once. However, the stucco and painting work was not identified by the engineer as a critical item. We put it out for bid as an “alternate” so we could first see the cost, and second possibly do it in this project.

Our final decision to omit it was a combination of the cost adding 30-35% to a project nearly four times larger than we had previously done and the fact that “cost-plus should leave some some unused assessment funds at the end to reserve for future cosmetic work.

Following the Owner Forum, Jerry Forree made a motion to accept the recommendation and give the Committee authority to contract for sums not exceeding those in the recommendation with concomitant Thirty Day Assessment Notices be issued beginning Monday July 21, 2008.

Work will commence as soon as there are sufficient funds in hand to pay the first monthly estimate of work completed. That should be about the third week in August. The contractor, Winship Construction, Inc., has 240 Calendar Days to complete the work.

If you wish a copy of the Recommendation Documents presented by the Rehab Committtee, let Phyllis know.

Tom Drawert tadraw@SBCGLOBAL.net

Res 210-696-9601 Cell 210-289-4477

May 2008 News

I held May back a few days as our project bids were due June 6th. Of six contractors interested, we got two responsible (able to furnish bond) bids, one non-responsive (no bond) and one no-bid (can’t bond).

Including a new sprinkler system (alternate addition) and excluding stucco repair and painting (alternate addition) and not including Contingencies and Engineers Fee, we are looking at two bids from $1.2 to 1.4 million. Contingencies ($80m) and Fee ($20m) will add $100m for a total of $1.3 to $1.5 million.

Initial bids indicate the average assessment would be from $16,883 to $19,480 using 77 units. Now the hard part starts, matching apples to apples and squeezing contractors on their bids. The rehab committee meets on Monday for this purpose. I give this range because the low bidder did not have time to furnish a bid bond (guarantee he can furnish final bond) but says he is working on approval. If he can’t bond, we’d have to go to the higher bidder.

I’m particularly adamant on bonds. We do not have the expertise to follow up on the Contractors payment of bills, nor can we have our people on the job continuously examining work which will be ultimately covered up. The bonds guarantee payment of bills and performance of the contract per its language and specifications. It also guarantees performance of the Contractors one-year warranty – if he goes out of business or can’t perform a warranty obligation, the bond covers it. Our direct cost will be less than 1% of the contract price.

The two “responsive bidders” are Southern Industry (low) and Winship Construction (second). While the bids were publicly read, I’d rather the identity and amounts of the bids be kept confidential to you, the owners.

In the meantime, Voss Engineering is studying the bids for obvious misunderstandings of the specifications or other items which seem out of line. If necessary, we can correct the specs and have a re-bid of such items only. The higher bid is not uniformly high – roofing and attendant stucco repair are the differences.

The amount we’re having to spend is a jolt to all of us. All I can say is we probably could have saved a half-million dollars had this been done a couple of years ago when the leak-caused water damage problems became endemic. Even the six months we have been working on the original inspection, specifications, and bidding has added significantly to cost due to the spike in energy prices.

I’m going to suggest to the Rehab Committee while the bids are being studied that:

1. We include the sprinkler system. The quote is $25,000 (14%) less than a recent free-standing bid. We are spending inordinate amounts on finding and repairing leaks as well as on wasted water. In addition, we are paying potable water rates, i.e. we are paying wastewater rates on all of our irrigation due to a common meter.

2. We set the timeline of construction so that we divide the total assessment in two major installments and the major installments in at least two and possibly three or four optional monthly payments. This would be done by using buildings as units and doing 7 of 14 in Stage 1 (Assessment 1) and the remaining in Stage 2 (Assessment 2). We will give the contractor a minimum of 4 months and a maximum of 5 months for each stage. This will allow him to stay on the job continuously but allow us to use two major assessments instead of one.

3. If any of the Contingency money remains, it will be reserved for future projects, if more Contingency money is needed, a final assessment will be necessary.

Once the Rehab Committee decides, I will call a Special Board Meeting to vote on the project. This meeting will be immediately followed by issuing an Assessment Notice, executing a contract and issuing a notice to proceed effective 15 to 30 days thereafter.

A Board Member asked about the eventuality that an Owner may not be able to meet the assessment. Here’s my response:

If we pass a legal assessment to effect necessary repairs and an owner fails to meet the obligation, the Council of Co-Owners gets a lien on the unit and may sue to force a sale to collect.

If we fail to correct the "deferred maintenance" deficiencies, we may be (and should be) sued by the Owners and it goes into the hands of the insurance company to determine if we committed a "wrongful act" covered by the policy.

I, for one, am not willing to ignore the problems just to keep the peace. If Owners must add to their loan or borrow the money, so be it. The long-time owners have a big profit to protect - much larger than the assessment if you look at it that way. If you live here, it's the same issue. If you're a short time owner, your cost went up but you are assured your investment is protected.

Another thing is the amount of money wasted on maintenance by not fixing the underlying problems. We should be protected from increases for a longer period of time when the project is finished.

This is pretty much every thought I have on the subject – nothing held back.

On another subject. Last month I discussed the definition of “exclusive use docks”. Regardless of my opinion, other dock lessees feel differently. Therefore, I will solicit from the Board an addition to the dock policy a definition that says “exclusive use” means the dock may be used only by the Owner and family, and guests and tenants of the unit. Each “Private Dock” sign will be edited by Maintenance to include the Unit Number.

Please let me know of further thoughts you may have as the Board will be busy and we have time to massage this some more.

April 2008 News

This month’s news primarily expands on the April 19th Board Meeting. The Minutes contain only Board action and discussion of written correspondence. They are not a transcript of the meeting.

There was a lively discussion of the “Trailered Boat Policy”. There were Owner letters on the subject, mainly addressing the issue of charges for long-term storage. Without objection, I suggested we re-visit the policy at the end of one year.

The Dock Policy was brought up by me as the author. I neglected to include a definition of “exclusive use” in the policy. I told the Board that my personal definition since building my dock in 1982 is:

“The dock is for use of myself, my guests, and/or my tenants when in residence, to the exclusion of all others. I may ask that a parked boat be moved, or get assistance from Puente Vista Management during business hours if that boat owner refuses to move. When not in use by me, my guests, or tenants, the dock may be used by anyone.”

I am soliciting from the Board a motion that the foregoing (edited to apply to all licensees effective on approval) be made a part of the Dock Policy.

All licensees since approval of the existing policy will be solicited to accept this definition. If any or all of them do not accept it, they may designate their dock as “No Trespassing” by posting appropriate signage. All licensees whether regular or “No Trespassing” must understand that Puente Vista cannot and will not police exclusive use docks except to assist in enforcing the policy by request made during Business Hours.

A status report on the Rehab Project was handed out and discussed. It contained a schedule based on publication of the bid package by May 1st, with bids due June 1st, and work to begin on July 10th. At this writing, April 24, 2008, the package is not yet complete. Every day beyond May 1st that the package is not published adds to the commencement date.

It was decided by the Rehab Committee to offer all Owners a 4 Payment Installment Plan at 10% interest. After discussion at the Board Meeting, the Committee decided to delete the interest charge. Instead a $25.00 Accounting Fee will be charged with the first payment only to recognize additional handling of the instalments.

I think that covers most everything. Till next month -

Tom Drawert

March 2008 News The draft agenda for the April Meeting follows. The two letters we’ll discuss both had to do with the Trailered Boat Policy.

The engineer is nearing completion of the specifications and bid packages for our project. We decided that Painting and a New Sprinkler System would go into the package as “Add Alternates”. This means we’ll get firm bids for these two items along with the other bid items. However, the bidders know we may not take either or both and their bids for the base items will not change if we do so. The advantage is the alternate items tend to be lower than if they were bid separately at another time.

Once bids are taken, we will decide on a contractor and release an assessment announcement with a due date 30 days thereafter. Signing of the contract won’t take place till after the due date so both we and the contractor are assured we can pay for the work.

It’s actually been a rather slow month – still no rain to speak of. Till next time –

BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING – 10:00 A. M. APRIL 19, 2008

PRELIMINARY AGENDA

Roll Call of Officers/Call to Order: Tom Drawert, President Introduction of Owners Present: Open Forum for Owners Correspondence: 1. Letter from Louis Rogers 2. Letter from Paul Wegner Approval of Minutes: January 19, 2008 1. Corrections or Additions 2. Motion and Second to Approve Reports: See Attached Property Manager – Phyllis Freeman Maintenance – Jay Durham Treasurer – Robert Adrean Old Business: 1. Report on 2008 Objectives Ø Building Priority, Bidding, Contracting & Work Supervision 2. Review of Trailered Boat/Trailer Policy New Business: 1. Mini Course – By-laws - Phyllis Other New Business:

Date of Next Meeting: July 19, 2008 Adjournment

PUENTE VISTA CONDOMINIUMS COUNCIL OF CO-OWNERS 14300 ALOHA CORPUS CHRISTI TX 78418 361-949-7081

February 26 2008

Puente Vista Owners

RE: February 2008 News

This is going out as E-Mail to those with addresses on file, regular mail to others, and will be posted on the website.

Work on re-hab project is continuing. The specifications and bid package should be ready by mid-March and I think we’ll take bids not later than May 1st.

The Board has also approved two new policy statements dealing with use and enjoyment of our docks and the parking of boats on trailers in our lot. The dock statement has already been distributed and the “trailered boat” statement will go out soon.

I might add that I’ve heard no criticism of the dock policy and to date, three docks have been licensed for exclusive use. This brings in $900.00 in one-time fees and $900.00 in ongoing annual fees to be used for overall dock maintenance.

We’ve been lax in our commitment to annual inspections of the units. They’ll begin next week and continue till done. The purpose is to be sure there are no undue fire hazards, the unit has no code violations, and there have been no unreported leaks.

Mary Davis sold her unit and is thus off the Board. We feel the vacancy should be filled now rather than wait till the Annual Meeting. We started last August with three inexperienced members and it’s hard.

The Board has appointed Kathy Morgan to the position. She has prior condo management experience and we believe be a more than competent member.

The lack of rain is a mixed blessing. We need it for the landscape but we don’t need new leaks.

Sincerely,

Tom Drawert, President

PUENTE VISTA CONDOMINIUMS COUNCIL OF CO-OWNERS 14300 ALOHA CORPUS CHRISTI TX 78418 361-949-7081

January 26, 2008

Puente Vista Owners

RE: January News

Monday morning we are packing up our stuff and two cats to return home (San Antonio) after our longest stay in twenty-nine years. It was great and we’re going to do it again next year. Since I had some time, here is the news a few days early. It goes E-Mail, Postal, and is posted on the website. The feedback on the January Board Meeting is positive, which the Board appreciates. We have a hard working, dedicated, group. Thank goodness for this is to be quite a year. Phyllis has already published the reports and minutes, the latter mentioning a “work session” the Board had after the meeting. Based on the feedback on our rehab project, we decided to get competitive bids from a group of at least five invited bidders. After a subsequent meeting with Voss Engineering, we asked Voss to prepare specifications and a bid package. We are going to take Items: 1-3;4-6;7,8,9,10,and 11 From the “Summary Report of Engineering Study” included with your minutes. Number 11, Replacement of Windows, is replaced by “Caulk, Paint, and Inspect for structural damage. We might take “Additive Alternate” bids for a new lawn sprinkler system and painting. The Board has approved creation of the “Rehab Project Committee” consisting of three Board Members, an Owner, and the Property Manager. The committee is charged with representing Puente Vista to the engineer and successful contractor. It will have some decision making power, including expenditures, and report monthly to the board. The members are: Tom Drawert, Robert Adrean, and Carlton Soules from the Board; Mario Chapa from the Owners, and Phyllis Freeman. That’s about it for now. If there’s further project news before March 1, you’ll be in the loop. Tom Drawert, President PUENTE VISTA CONDOMINIUMS COUNCIL OF CO-OWNERS 14300 ALOHA CORPUS CHRISTI TX 78418 361-949-7081 PUENTEVISTACOCK@AOL.COM January 4, 2008 Puente Vista Owners RE: December News This is going out as E-Mail to those with addresses on file, regular mail to others, and will be posted on the website. Voss Engineering completed their study and we will get the report at the January Board Meeting on the 19th. With the possible exception of one unit, it will not be necessary to remove sheet rock for the structural study. The whole cost will be very close to Voss’s fee of $12,000.00. Discussion of our options will begin at that meeting and I urge your attendance. Lacking any significant rain, the complex looks good and Jay has been able to reduce the backlog of known leaks. Of course, the next rain will reveal or create new ones. Also at the January meeting, we will discuss progress toward our objectives and any new business arising since October. Let anyone on the Board or Phyllis know of anything you wish added to the agenda. We’d prefer your thoughts be in writing but a phone call will suffice. On Monday, January 6, 2008 and each Monday thereafter through March, we will have our weekly “Pot Luck Supper” for Winter Texans and Owners. Social Hour (wine provided) begins at 5:00pm with dinner at 5:30. I thought 2007 was an interesting year for us and hope that 2008 will be as interesting, just more productive. Sincerely, Tom Drawert PUENTE VISTA CONDOMIUMS 14300 ALOHA STREET CORPUS CHRISTI TX 78418 361-949-7081 TEL PUENTEVISTACOCK@AOL.COM November 28, 2007 Puente Vista Owners Re: November News This is going out by E-mail where we have your address, by regular mail where we don’t. It will also be posted on the website under “News”. First. Management wants to know about problems that come up on weekends and holidays when the office is closed. Things like leaks, water/sewer problems, vandalism, theft, etc. Whether it needs immediate attention or can wait till normal business hours contact; Phyllis Freeman, Property Manager ( 361-949-7635 ) This is her home phone and she can monitor it when away. Phyllis will “triage” the problem as to emergency attention, immediate (same day), attention or next business day attention. We are responsible for problems that affect the common elements, not the use of your unit as a rental. In other words, Phyllis is not paid to deliver keys in the middle of the night to a locked out renter. Please don’t contact any other Puente Vista personnel, we don’t pay them to handle off-hours work except on an authorized over-time basis. It’s Phyllis’s job to decide if our people must be used. Second, we had a boat stolen from a dock. Thieves cut mooring ropes and drove it away. The boat was found on a sand bar, completely stripped of all equipment. We mention this only to let you know it happened and to suggest removing the “dead man” cord (if your boat is so equipped) when leaving your boat overnight. If the device is removed, an attempt to start the engine triggers a very loud alarm. Last, the engineer has begun his “rehab” inspection. They are looking at the exterior and attics first and the inside of each unit later. Sheet rock removed to see structural members will be replaced promptly by our sheet rock subcontractor and painted by our staff. As always, let us know if you have any questions or comments. Tom Drawert PUENTE VISTA CONDOMINIUMS COUNCIL OF CO-OWNERS 14300 ALOHA CORPUS CHRISTI TX 78418 361-949-7081 PUENTEVISTACOCK@AOL.COM December 18, 2007 Dear Owners, Let's see. . . it was about this time last year when I sat down to write my quarterly owner's letter. It would appear that I am a couple of quarters late. So be it. It was also about this time last year when Doc Edwards (220) hit a hole in one at the Country Club. See Rick, I told you I wouldn't forget. Shortly thereafter I attended the International Quilt Show. I knew that Anna Williams had entries and was anxious to see her work. By the time I found her she was covered in blue ribbons including a "Best of Show". It was definitely her day. We have made a lot of progress this year. The property continues to improve and to attract some great new owners. We are now 53% owner occupied or second home. 6 PV units changed hands this year, leaving 2 remaining on the market. (223 & 103) Our annual meeting in October was a most cordial event. As you probably know by now, Mike Morris, PV attorney spoke. He walked us through what we had done, what we should be doing and was generally pleased with our results. Many in the group had questions that he answered with his usual good humor. The Structural Engineers have begun their inspections. They are almost finished with their initial walk through of each unit, roof and attic areas. Findings shouldn't come as a surprise to many. A deteriorating roof, totally deteriorated flashing, and decks and flat roofs that drain in the wrong direction are some of the contributing factors to our leak situation. From talking to them it appears that our damage is about 50/50 on termite and water damage. Upon completion of the walk through, they will begin removing sheetrock in units to determine the structural integrity of the buildings. As I have mentioned before, we will follow behind them with sheetrock and paint. One of their findings was the failure of a post tension cable in one of the buildings. Repair will consist of boring a new hole throughout the entire foundation and threading in a new cable. We must remember that this sweet old lady will be 32 years of age this year, that's 224 in dog years. Like anything that age, things sag, snap, rust and leak. Not that I have any personal experience. Some chatter around the Island: It’s a good time to be a fisherman and a bad time to be a fish. Reports come in about lots and lots of fish being caught off both the jetties and the beach. It’s flounder, redfish and pompano season. In Port A, they are bringing in boats full of both yellow fin and black fin tuna. 257 whooping cranes have arrived with another few expected; great progress from some years ago when they were down to a couple of dozen. There’s another rumor that we might get a grocery store. Yes, we’ve all heard it before. These folks are apparently from the valley. Now if they can just get here before HEB gets wind of it. Page Two Last weekend was the Island’s La Posada lighted boat parade. It was wonderful weather so this year so we had more boats than usual. It was truly beautiful both nights. The Friday night parade came down by our large canal side quite a bit giving us a lovely show. Yesterday I attended the Padre Island Business Association luncheon. It was a smaller than usual group which allowed for lots of conversation between speakers and attendees. Featured speakers were our friend Bobby Sherwood, Nueces County Constable and Brian Smith, Corpus Christi Chief of Police. In attendance also were Judge Neblitt from Port A and Sheriff Jim Kaelin. There was quite a bit of conversation regarding the recent rash of burglaries here on the island. Chief Smith relayed that through the work of owners and our Island Cop, Chris Hooper, enough leads came in to make the arrests needed. They all noted that even though they had recovered a lot of the stolen property, without serial numbers it was difficult to identify. They reminded us to keep our garage doors down. The meeting dates for 2008 will be as follows: January 19, 2008 April 19, 2008 July 19, 2008 October 25, 2008 Board Meeting & Annual Homeowner’s Meeting The Board has pledged to do all possible to hold these dates. These dates and this letter will be posted on our website: puentevistacock@aol.com In closing, may I extend my personal wishes for a wonderful holiday season to all and a prosperous New Year. Phyllis PUENTE VISTA CONDOMIUMS 14300 ALOHA STREET CORPUS CHRISTI TX 78418 361-949-7081 TEL PUENTEVISTACOCK@AOL.COM November 28, 2007 Puente Vista Owners Re: November News – Phyllis’s memo of November 14, 2007 is below. This is going out by E-mail where we have your address, by regular mail where we don’t. It will also be posted on the website under “News”. First. Management wants to know about problems that come up on weekends and holidays when the office is closed. Things like leaks, water/sewer problems, vandalism, theft, etc.

Whether it needs immediate attention or can wait till normal business hours contact;

Phyllis Freeman, Property Manager ( 361-949-7635 ) This is her home phone and she can monitor it when away.

Phyllis will “triage” the problem as to emergency attention, immediate (same day), attention or next business day attention.

We are responsible for problems that affect the common elements, not the use of your unit as a rental. In other words, Phyllis is not paid to deliver keys in the middle of the night to a locked out renter.

Please don’t contact any other Puente Vista personnel, we don’t pay them to handle off-hours work except on an authorized over-time basis. It’s Phyllis’s job to decide if our people must be used.

Second, we had a boat stolen from a dock. Thieves cut mooring ropes and drove it away. The boat was found on a sand bar, completely stripped of all equipment.

We mention this only to let you know it happened and to suggest removing the “dead man” cord (if your boat is so equipped) when leaving your boat overnight. If the device is removed, an attempt to start the engine triggers a very loud alarm.

Last, the engineer has begun his “rehab” inspection. They are looking at the exterior and attics first and the inside of each unit later. Sheet rock removed to see structural members will be replaced promptly by our sheet rock subcontractor and painted by our staff.

As always, let us know if you have any questions or comments.

Tom Drawert

TO: ALL PUENTE VISTA OWNERS NOVEMBER 14, 2007 FROM: PHYLLIS FREEMAN

I wanted to let you know, in plenty of time, that our next Board of Director's Meeting will be held on Saturday, January 19, 2008, at 10:00 A.M. in the clubroom. Let's try to have a good turnout for the first meeting of our new Board.

Also, if you have been following the minutes, we are getting started on an inspection by Voss Engineering, to determine the structural integrity of all 14 of the buildings. We are planning to start in Building I which consists of units 237, 236, 136, 137 and 135.

At this point we do not know how much interference will come with this project. We do know that some sheetrock will be removed. I have made arrangements with our favorite sheetrocker to come in right behind the engineer and we will do repairs. Painting will occur after sheetrock is up.

It is so good that we are finally committed to doing the long-needed repairs in this matter. I know it will cause some inconvenience to a few, however, we will do everything possible to minimize the pain.

We will not be doing any work during the Christmas to New Year's week.

If you have questions, please give me a call. We will know a lot more after the first few units have been inspected

Copyright © 2009, All Rights Reserved, PuenteVista.com, Condominium, Corpus Christi, Texas